It's hard for me to think of another profession in which one performs almost entirely in the public eye like Chase does every day (maybe a politician would compare). While it can have its good moments--others are quick to congratulate when you are doing well, it unfortunately has its downfalls, too.
It seems more and more that people are coming to the games, not to cheer on the team, but for entertainment. I know that is what baseball is about--fun, games, entertainment. However, when that entertainment becomes making fun of and taunting the players and coaches, I believe that crosses the line. And we are not talking about kids--these are grown men and women. It seems that there is little respect for the time and effort these players and coaches put in and the level of skill it takes for them to compete here.
It is the hardest thing to sit in the stands and have to listen to people criticize and belittle my husband and his teammates when what I really would like to do is to ask them to be quiet (rather impolitely), inform them that the person that they are referring to is my husband, and tell them how much more entertaining it would be to watch THEM go down on that field and try to hit the baseball! I mean really...do they honestly think they could do a better job that these players? Because they way the carry on, it sure seems like it.
But, that would not be very Christ-like of me to do or say. So I just sit; I try to tune it out.
Baseball is a hard game to play. Even the BEST of the BEST are lucky to succeed at getting a hit 30% of the time. Therefore, it's very easy to get frustrated and upset when you are failing more than succeeding; especially when you have silly (and sometimes drunk) people yelling at you whenever you don't.
USA Today--The hardest thing to do in sports: getting bat to meet ball
I would like to think that this issue may be the worst at this level-being that hardly anyone has a loyalty to a minor league team and so those who come mostly do for the entertainment/social aspect. In college ball, as well as in the bigs, most go to support "their" team, or they at least feel some sense of respect for the players.
I know there will be criticizing and taunting at every level of athletic competition. Competition can certainly bring out the worst in people, can't it? Whether Chase does make it to the Big Leagues, or if it's our son or daughter playing T-ball, I'm sure we will have to face it in the future. That doesn't make it alright. And this sort of disrespect for other people is certainly something that we will NOT want to teach our children (Lord willing that we have some one day).
Alright, enough with the angry rambling. It's not all bad--it's sweet and endearing to hear the little girl behind me say "Oh, I like Chase, he's cute!" (not so sweet and endearing if the girl isn't so little), or hear the boy on my row scream, "Go Chase Burnette!" when he is up to bat. I hope these children won't learn to disrespect the players from adults that may be sitting around them in the future.
Please, the next time you go to a sporting event--whether it be your child's soccer game, a high school football game, or a Braves game, show respect for the players and coaches by minding your tongue. And teach your kids to respect them, too. Just because the players are competing publicly, they shouldn't become targets for public ridicule. How would you feel if the player being taunted or criticized was your child or husband?
James 2: 2ff English Standard Version
"2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. 3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things...8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water?"
Thanks for reading my little diatribe. It sure feels better to get it out there.
And now for the tongue twisters : ) This post needs something to lighten it up.
Even though this has nothing to do with anything...here we go, take a whack at these:
Ed had edited it.
Give Mr. Snipe's wife's knife a swipe.
Red leather, yellow leather.
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.
Betty Botter bought some butter,
"But," she said, "this butter's bitter.
If I bake this bitter butter,
It will make my batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter -
That would make my batter better."
So she bought a bit of butter,
Better than her bitter butter,
And she baked it in her batter,
And the batter was not bitter.
So 'twas better Betty Botter
Bought a bit of better butter.
Three free throws.
If you need even more practice taming that tongue of yours, you can click here.
Love to everyone,
Caitlin
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete:) I love this post! And I completely agree with you Caitlin, I hate it when people criticize/heckle athletes (or any kind of performers, really) at sporting events or concerts, etc! It is so rude & uncalled for! And sometimes there are moments, like at those sort of events, when it is absolutely fine to keep your opinions to yourself. I think a lot of people forget to remember that.
ReplyDeleteHey girly! I have the same name for my blog!!! Welcome to the baseball world! It's quite tough, but it will be what you make of it! Great blogging!!
ReplyDeletehere is mine: http://www.gonzalezsportsacademy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=57&Itemid=140
It's been a while since I have checked blogs.
ReplyDeleteMy brow was furrowed through that post. I'm sorry they can't get to know the awesome person he is and judge him on an evening. He's a great ball player, and I hate that you have to hear that. Remember that Jesus showed anger when it was necessary, so go ahead and mouth of to them. =)
It is so hard hearing unjust criticism on our hubby's, I can't imagine hearing it from people in the stands while your hubby's out there giving his all. But you are such a great example of handling it in a Christ-like manner. Love you girl! Hang in there!
ReplyDelete