Okay, okay...I'm not going to complain too much, but I do want to give you the other side of our baseball life. While Chase and I are having a blast and we know how much this opportunity is a blessing from God, it's not all fun and games. There is an 'unglamorous' side to being a professional baseball player...and his wife.

Last Friday, the 25th of June, Chase had an unbelievable game against the Batavia Muckdogs. He hit two home runs and we won big! After the game was over-around 10ish-the team took their showers, said their goodbyes, and loaded the bus for an overnight trip to Auburn, New York for their next series. The got in at about 4 the next morning and had a game that night. It is an exhausting schedule. There is no such thing as a 'travel day' in the minor leagues. They play a game, load the bus, and go to the next destination overnight. Chase gets 4 days off the whole time we are here. This picture was taken after his two- homer game-Jeanne, David, and I all went to give him a congratulatory send-off.
So...Chase is gone...again. Since we've been married, baseball has pretty much been in full swing. However, his college schedule wasn't nearly as demanding as this one is. He's here for a few days...he's gone for a few days. It's definitely less than ideal for newlyweds, or for anyone, I would imagine.

Jeanne and David are so sweet and try to think of things for us to do. On Saturday, Newton Falls had it's annual car show! I had never been to one before, so, of course, we went! The whole town shuts down for this event, and hundreds of old and new cars are lined up on main street, in the Arby's parking lot; anywhere they can find a spot. Even though I know absolutely

nothing about cars, I can still appreciate them for their beauty and

the effort that someone has put into taking care of them. There were classy ones, crazy ones, and ones that I thought....'why in the world is that in here?' The picture to the left pretty much sums that up.We did stumble upon David's dream car...and it was purty :) It was a cobalt blue Mercury. I really wish Chase would have been home to go with us to that. I really think he would have enjoyed it.
Lucky for me, Britni was in Ohio visiting her grandparents this past week. So, on Sunday morning I drove to North Canton and went to church with her, her dad, brothers, and her Mimi and Papa. After church, we ate a nice lunch at Red Lobster and then went back to the house and rode bikes around their neighborhood. We felt like ten-year-olds. After we got tired, we came inside and her Mimi made us chocolate milkshakes and we fell asleep watching West Side Story. I left after a fellowship meal following church that night and was sad to go. It was the perfect summer day with a dear friend :) When I got back to Jeanne and David's house that night, they informed me that they were going to leave in the morning to go visit a friend in North Carolina. They recently found out that she has been diagnosed with Leukemia.
At this point, Chase's team had finished their series in Auburn and were heading down to Batavia, New York for their next series. We decided that I should meet him there and booked a hotel room in the same hotel the team was staying at. Talk about UNglamorous. Hands down the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. But it was worth it! Chase's coach was very understanding and allowed Chase to stay in the room with me...this is how that conversation went...
Chase: Coach, my wife has a room in this hotel and I was wondering if you had a policy as to whether or not I can stay in the room with her?
Coach: She's in THIS hotel? My wife came on this trip with me once and has never come again...sure, you're married. It's fine.
I was very grateful for that...it was nice not to have to sleep in a hotel room by myself.

So, I got to watch the series at Batavia. It was interesting to see what their field and stadium looks like compared to ours in Niles, Ohio. Our stadium is much bigger and we have a much bigger attendance than they did. And...it was cold!!! I spent the whole game Tuesday night shivering. It was in the fifties! In June! It's definitely a far cry from the 100s in Atlanta. I was smart enough to bring a

light jacket, but I only had sandals. My toes were turning blue! It was a good trip, though, and I was so glad I got to go. I got back to Newton Falls at about 1 last night and Chase was an hour behind me. Today, the Scrappers kick off another home series...not sure who we're playing tonight. This series is a little different because there are some guys from the Indians organization that are here to help the players before the games. Chase said it's called a 'mini-camp'. I'm anxious to hear how that went today. I'm off to the game. Hope we win!
Lots of love,
Cait
Hey! Good post. Sorry it's not fun now- this would be the valley, and you'll get to the top of the hill again. =)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got to spend time with Britni. I know that was good for you.
What about the other baseball wives? Have you gotten to know them? You should invite them to go see Eclipse. =)
Hi Caitlin! Just a quick note to let you know how much we're loving Delilah! She was a bit timid for the first day or two, but I can assure you that she's adjusted fine to her new home & new mommy! Delilah follows Erin around everywhere - it's very precious! When Erin leaves, Delilah follows her to the front door and sits in front of the door long after Erin has left. Awwwwwww! It is cute! Delilah is, after all, Erin's kitty, but she has easily found her way into my heart, too (truth be told, it didn't take much effort!). Miss Delilah is laying on my bed right now, cleaning her front paws and is happy as a little black lamb! We love her & can't wait for Sean to meet her in a few weeks when he comes home. Ian can vouch for Delilah's health & happiness! As can your mom! We hope to see you two soon! Please, please, PLEASE! Do not convert to a Buckeye while you're up there. PLEASE!!!! I can take just about anything, but I honestly don't think I could take it if y'all went all yankee on me or something....:o) LOVE YOU! Myra, Erin & Miss Delilah
ReplyDeleteHang in there Caitlin. Know what u mean about the lousy hotel. When I first moved to Melbourne, FL (without Linda, she was still in Tulsa), I had flown back for the weekend and then returned to Melbourne late Sunday night, so just got a room at the Minnesota Twins Hotel @ the Melbourne airport. Melbourne was the Twins spring training home. That had to be the biggest pit of a hotel I had ever seen. It was bulldozed down about a year later.
ReplyDeleteMiss y'all!
Kim--There is only one other baseball wife...and her husband has already been to the big leagues! He was sent to this team because he's being "punished" for something. I haven't met them yet, but only know what Chase has told me. They have a four month old baby and are several years older than us. But not to worry, Chase and I have already seen Eclipse :) I talked him into going with me.
ReplyDeleteMs. Myra--I am SOOO glad you are finding her as easy to love as we did. She is such a good pet! A sweetheart! That is so sweet about Erin. She would follow us around and to the door, but we could never prove that she would sit there waiting for us, even though we thought she did. Has she started giving you kisses yet? It melted my heart! We're so happy that she's found a special home! And you don't have to worry about us becoming Ohio State fans...we'll forever be for Georgia Tech!!
Mr. Charlie--I believe it about the hotel! Disgusting!
Hey Caitlin - Erin is at camp this week, so it's just me & Miss Delilah at the house. I let her sleep with me last night for the first time and she did great! I was afraid she'd keep me up all night playing cat & mouse with my feet, but she didn't. She settled right down and, yes, woke me early this morning with kisses on my face! She obviously has had a lot of love from your home because she's a very sweet & affectionate kitty! She's a very kissy kitty!
ReplyDeleteI've been pleasantly surprised at how well Delilah has done with meeting new people at the house. We've had several people over recently for of get-togethers (more than 16 people each time) and I was concerned that she would be scared, but she wasn't! Delilah was the hit of both parties and did great, even with the small children. She's obviously been socialized, which is great! She is adjusting just fine to our home...and our rules! Hopefully I'll save up the $$$ soon to have her declawed...def want to do that before Christmas...we have a 12 ft Christmas Tree and I can just see her climbing to the tippy top! HA!
So glad to hear that things are going well with Chase and that you're able to go on the trips with him. Being together & sharing things is a very important part of being married, especially vital in the defining years. You two are creating memories that will last a lifetime! Have a blast!!! These times will go by much faster than you think they will!
Thrilled to know that there's no chance of y'all converting to Buckeyes. I truly don't know if my heart could stand it!!!
Sean will be home (Lord willing) on/around July 19th for about 3 weeks. My understanding is that Rebecca will visit the first week of August. I'm looking forward to having my Sean home for a bit, and also having Rebecca here as well. Do you know when you/Chase might be able to come to Atl again? Can't wait to see you two & for you to visit Delilah!
Have loads of fun this week! We'll talk to you soon! Love, Miss Myra