Background

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Just Call Me Penny

Within a few days of knowing us, our host "mom", Jeanne, had given us new nicknames: Odysseus and Penelope.

I have to admit that I do feel like Penelope sometimes--forever waiting for my "warrior" husband to come home from his baseball battles. I am so thankful that I don't have to wait nearly as long as she did.

So much has happened since my last update!

The Gibsons were up here the weekend of July 10th. It was so nice to have some more "Crapper" fans! (Triston doesn't pronounce the 'S' in Scrappers--it is too funny!!)



Also, Chase's little fan from Buford, Hunter Waldrop, was here that weekend with his dad. They made a special trip to come up and see Chase play! Hunter has written Chase letters and recently attended a baseball camp at Georgia Tech where Walt, the trainer for the baseball team, gave Hunter Chase's batting helmet. He brought it up for Chase to sign!


On Tuesday of the next week, Chase left for Brooklyn and I left on Thursday for Shepherdsville, Kentucky. My cousin, Hannah, and her husband, Sean are expecting their first baby in August and the family baby shower was on the 17th. I drove to Kentucky on Thursday and then rode down the rest of the way to Georgia on Friday with my Aunt Cindy, and cousins Holly and Haley. The shower was so lovely. It was held at my parents house. We strung up lights and set up tables in the carport. I was so happy that I was able to go.


Sunday, I got to hear Sean preach at Tiger church of Christ in North Georgia and enjoyed getting to spend time with my family. I flew back to Louisville on Tuesday and spent the remainder of the week there with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins. It was so nice to get to spend time with them. While everyone else was at work, Cindy and I would go shopping! She took me to this incredible discount shoe store, Zappos! One night, we drove into Indiana and ate at a restaurant overlooking the river back into Louisville. Very pretty! On Saturday, before I headed back to Ohio, we went to the Louisville Slugger Museum. I learned quite a bit about wooden bats. Did you know that a major leaguer could go through as many as 120 bats in one season? Or that only 10% of the bats made are good enough to be used in the majors? The rest are used for minor and recreational leagues.




Unfortunately for me, going home for Hannah's shower meant missing the Burnettes and Cloers who came up to Ohio the same time I went down to Georgia. But I was so happy that they got to come up and see Chase and meet Jeanne and David. Jeanne and I had been working on a little outfit for Addie and it was ready for her when she came up.


Jeanne had some Chinese-inspired fabric and we made her a little summer outfit. Jeanne made her a matching purse and bow!

We are really enjoying getting to know people at the church we are attending up here-Struthers church of Christ. Everyone has been so welcoming! It's funny though, because when the Gibsons came up, Abby was hanging around Chase and I that Sunday and people kept thinking that she belonged to us. They still say, "Aren't you missing someone?," "How old is your daughter?" Haha. Last Wednesday night, Chase was out of town and so I was at church by myself. After he was done with his lesson, the preacher motioned for me to scoot over so I didn't have to sit by myself. Isn't that sweet?

Everyone in Newton Falls continues to be soo welcoming! Above is a picture of Chase with Tim and Cindy who own the Brew Basket in town. It is a very nice little restaurant that serves coffee and sandwiches. That sign hangs in their window. Cindy is helping to organize the "Newton Falls Night at the Scrappers" on August 8th.

Daniel, one of our neighbors that we have yet to meet because he is extremely busy working at the dairy farm next door, put this sign up for us right next to the house! So sweet!

That's all for now. Until next time,

Cait

1 comment:

  1. Saw your family last night at the funeral home (Owen Freeman passed on Wednesday). It was good to see them. Jim and I have done the baseball bat tour in Louisville. We thought it was very interesting! We also did the racetrack tour at Churchill Downs. Enjoyed seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete