David is out of the hospital! He was released at around 5 Tuesday night and was at Chase's game at 7! Can you believe it? That is one determined man! He was released without any restrictions and all of his tests came back well! Thank you to everyone for your prayers on his behalf.
Yesterday afternoon while Chase was at the field before the game, David was kind enough to share his passion with me-gardening. He has a beautiful vegetable garden in the backyard. I could tell he was anxious to get to it after being in the hospital for a week. He showed me what all he planted this year: 3 types of tomatoes (red, Roma, and yellow), 2 kinds of cucumbers (eating and pickling!), about 4 0r 5 types of hot peppers, green bell peppers, cabbage, green beans, beets, etc. He taught me how to hoe around the base of the plant to get all the weeds uprooted from around it and then he would come through in-between the rows with a hand-cultivator. Almost as soon as he was done, a good rain came. It was perfect. Something about working outside and watching things grow makes me feel closer to God.
Last night, I had fun sitting with Jeanne and David at the game. They are such great supporters of Chase and the team. David is always yelling, 'Chase, you the man!' And Chase went 2-4 again! He played first base and enjoyed it. It seems like he might be a jack-of-all-trades for this team (he's played left field, DH, and first base already) which is wonderful as it equals more playing time for him.
Chase has had some quotes published in local newspapers. It's very exciting! Jeanne got supplies for us to make a scrapbook with all of the clippings. Here are a couple links to some of the articles:
http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/id/538929.html?nav=5024
http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/jun/24/scrappers-finally-score-but-still-come-u/
Chase wanted me to share that with all of the Latin guys on the team he has determined himself to learn some Spanish. He is trying to learn a new word each day. Most of the words he has learned pertain to baseball (surprise, surprise)...things like 'line drive' and 'curve ball.' I won't attempt to tell you what they are in Spanish. Even if I remembered, I couldn't spell them. You will have to ask him :)
I have to share with you a story about a friend I made Tuesday night. I was sitting on the steps of the field reading a book when this man approached me and struck up a conversation. "Getting a whole chapter in?" Trying to be polite, I answered and the next thing I knew he was telling me about how he was in WWII and told me to guess how old he was. Well of course, I didn't want to guess. Turns out he was 85! And he certainly didn't look it. He whipped his drivers license out of his wallet and asked if I was good at math. Sure enough, his birthday was on April 22, 1925. He asked me if I knew what was special about that day and I had no idea. He went on to tell me that when he was 40 years old, they made his birthday Earth Day. He said, "Yep, I'm older than dirt!" Haha!
I've got some catching-up to do on sharing pictures.
Here are a few from Monday--Opening Day:
Eastwood Field!
Announcing the teams
Sprinklers going off on the visiting team!
Chase hitting--he's number 34 on this team.
And some pics from Tuesday:
Reading on the porch...
Welcome home, David!
And some pictures from the game last night:
There was a short rain delay.
Chase and I before the game. Doesn't he look good in the Scrappers uniform??
Chase with Jeanne before the game.
Well, that's all for now. Until next time, lots of love to everyone!
Cait
older than dirt! thats funny.. i might be older than dirt too! thats not so funny. i love the back porch picture. It makes your life seem like a dream... reading books, rocking chairs, baseball, new friends and gardening. enjoy your days! love you guys!
ReplyDeletekim
We love your blog! It was great to see you two even for 10 minutes! If Addie comes to visit you should probably skip the fireworks:) Love you guys! Katie and Jason and Grayson (and Jake)
ReplyDelete